Interview with 'Living Among Us' director Brian Metcalf

Source: IMDb Page 

Brian Metcalf is the director (and producer) of the new vampire film "Living Among Us." "Living Among Us" is a found footage movie about how vampires have just made themselves public. Since then a group of documentarians have been granted access to spend some time with them and learn how they live and coexist with humans.  Later the crew realizes they are in for more than they bargained for.

The film stars the late John Heard (one of his last movies), William Sadler, Thomas Ian Nicholas, James Russo, Esme Bianco, and Andrew Keegan. "Living Among Us" is currently available to watch on VOD  and is in select theaters.

So here's the interview about the vampire film and other projects that Brian is working:

1. First what made you choose the  found footage format for "Living Among Us." 
I know some people will argue with me on this, but I don't consider this so much a found footage film but more influenced by the "French New Wave" movement. Just as many wouldn't consider Birdman found footage. The film has recognizable cast in which is not common with found footage. The film has a number of long-takes, the protagonist, Mike, is against authority, the cameras are handheld, and the jumpcuts, actors, and other things constantly make you aware of the filmmaking process, so in many regards, this would constitute as American New Wave. But many will still classify it as found footage.

2. How does "Living Among Us" differ from other vampire movies (besides being a found footage movie)? 
I try and change the norms of things. I still have many of the trappings of vampires seen in films, but I base the origins more on medical science. I also don't give them fangs.

3. Do you have a specific scene that you loved filming? 
I really enjoyed filming the stoner house scene. There was just a lot of high energy there and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

4. I read that the script was requested by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences to be added to their Permanent Core inside the Margaret Herrick Library. So I want to know when did you first hear the news and how did you feel about it? 
I received the news from Greg Walsh from the Academy at the end of January. It was very exciting and quite an honor. But it's always great to be doing a project that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences likes.

5. Do you want to discuss any other current projects that you are working on?  
I am finishing up a project called "Strange Ones". Now that I am done with "Living Among Us" I can focus more on that project.  I also have a film called "Contentious" I am working on. It is a neo-noir, crime drama film. I'm also currently reading other scripts that have been sent to me.

6. Bonus Question: What is your favorite vampire film? 
Wow, there are so many! But I enjoyed "Let the Right One In," "Martin," "Fright Night," "The Lost Boys," "Thirst" (Korean film), "Interview with the Vampire," "Near Dark" just to name a few.

So I would love to thank Brian Metcalf for answering these six questions about his new film. For those who are interested in knowing more about "Living Among Us" join the official Facebook Page. Also, don't forget to follow Brian's official website either to keep up with his projects.

Red Compass Media 

Popular Posts